Jiaoxi was named “Tangwei” (meaning ‘surrounding hot spring’) in the old days. It was founded and settled by Wu Sha, the first developer of Kailan, which was the original name of Ilan. Wu Sha saw the potential of the area’s hot spring resources, and started to plan and develop this area by building houses that surrounded the hot spring resource. Due to the often dry riverbed in this area, people called it ‘Jiaoxi’, (meaning ‘dry creek’ in the Taiwanese dialect). In 1825, during the reign of Qing Dynasty Emperor, Daoguang (5th year in the throne), a Kamalan (old name for Ilan) official, Wu Zhufang, named these eight representative scenery in Ilan, which are known as the Eight Lanyang Scenery today: “Guishan Sun”, “Longling Ridge Evening”, “Xifeng Refreshing Air”, “Beiguan Tides”, “Shigang Spring Sail”, “Shanan Autumn Sand”, “Su’ao Mirage City”, and “Tangwei Hot Spring”. From then on, the Ilan people referred to their land as Lanyang.
Jiaoxi Hot Spring is a neutral sodium bicarbonate spring with a 7.5 pH level. The spring’s chemical composition includes sodium, magnesium, calcium, and potassium carbonate ion. The temperature is moderate at around 64 degrees Celsius and the water is clear and free of strong sulfur odors. A soak in this hot spring leaves your skin smooth, silky and not sticky. Along with Italy, Jiaoxi Hot Spring is one of the two places in the world that has phenol titanium content, which is good for beauty and anti-aging. Therefore, it is known as the “top-notch” hot spring.
Local Specialty Snacks Recommendation
(1) Starting in Taipei → From Xindian follow the Taipei-Ilan Highway and pass Pinglin → Shipai. After the Nine-Twist-and-Turns (known as Nine-Twist-and-Turns because of the winding road) you will arrive to Jiaoxi (Driving takes about 1.5 hours). (About 2 hours on a bus that seats 45 people).
(2) Starting in Taipei →Keelung Highway, follow Coastal Highway Interchange directly to Ruifang. Pass Ruibin, Bitou Cape, Longdong, Dali Tiangong temple, Beiguan, Toucheng, and arrive at Jiaoxi. (Driving takes about 2 hours) (About 2.5 hours on a bus that seats 45 people).
(3) Taipei → National Highway 5 (From National Highway 2 connect to Taipei-Ilan Highway) → Toucheng/Jiaoxi Interchange → Jiaoxi (About 40 minutes drive).
(1) Taipei-Ilan Highway: North Zhongshan Road →Roosevelt Road→ Beixin Road→ Taipei-Ilan Highway → Provincial Highway 9→ Jiaoxi (about 70km).
(2) Coastal Highway: North Zhongshan Road → North Chongqing Road→ Zhongshan Highway →Zhongshan Road in Ruifang →Northern Coastal Highway → Jiaoxi (about 110km).
(3) Taipei-Ilan Highway: Taipei → National Highway 5 (Provincial Highway 2 to Taipei-Ilan Highway) →Toucheng/Jiaoxi Interchange →Jiaoxi (about 35km).
Jiaoxi Railway Station ⇔ Jiaoxi Bus Station(Hot Spring Intersection) ⇔ Jiaoxi Visitor Center ⇔ Tangweigou Park ⇔ Paoma Historic Trail ⇔ Hotel Royal Chiao Hsi ⇔ Wufengqi Scenic Area ⇔ Li BaoxingPenstock ⇔Linmei Vistor Center ⇔ Linmei Shipan Trail ⇔ Fo Guang University ⇔ Mandala Water Drop Teahouse ⇔ Foguang University Yun Qi Building